Here’s how Patel defines growth hacking:
“Growth hackers, using their knowledge of product and distribution, find ingenious, technology-based, avenues for growth that sometimes push the bounds of what is expected or advised.”
How does this differ from marketing? While traditional marketers have a broad focus ranging from building out a marketing team to defining an overall marketing strategy, growth hackers focus on one thing and one thing only: growth. But this doesn’t mean that marketers can’t be great growth hackers.
Some say that growth hacking roles render marketers irrelevant to startups because they require technical skills that traditional marketers don’t have––a sentiment that has people buzzing about the need to become a technical marketer.
But marketers who can’t program are perfectly poised to take on growth-centric roles as long as they have a technical mindset; in other words, they should possess a deep understanding of technology––how people interact with it, the latest developments and trends, how different tools and platforms integrate with one another and what data is important for making smart decisions.
These growth hackers will most likely want a programmer on their team, but they don’t need to be one.
Luckily, there are many new tools that empower technically-minded marketers to be less dependent on developers to do complex analyses, link independent tools together or build and test landing pages. Sean Ellis, who coined the term “growth hacker” in 2010, talked about a few tools that are leveling the playing field by allowing marketers to do the work of an engineer without being one themselves. His article inspired me to dig deeper and find more great tools that non-coders can use to generate growth for their company.
So here it is: your epic list of tools for marketers with a technical mindset but limited coding chops.
Colibri shows you where your customers are engaging online so that you can insert yourself into relevant conversations.
- Diversify your traffic and improve SEO by participating in the right conversations across the web
- Integrates with Google Analytics
Pricing: 14-day free trial, then plans starting at $95/month
2. Pay With A Tweet
Pay With A Tweet allows you to give people access to your content or product once they’ve tweeted or posted about it. This is a great way to go viral in the early stages of a product launch, or to make sure your content or product spreads further across the web over time.
- Invite people to pay with a post across major social media channels, including: Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Xing and Vkontakte
- Measure traffic, clicks, sales and geo data
- Customization to fit your brand/website
Pricing: Basic free plan, then paid plans starting at $19.99/month
3. Click to Tweet
Click to Tweet is a free, easy way to promote and advertise your business or product on Twitter. I used this in a recent product launch by asking new users to share the product on Twitter and got amazing results.
- Analytics telling you how many times your Click to Tweet link has been clicked, and then how many times the link within your pre-written tweet has been clicked on
- Super easy to set up and can be used anywhere (landing pages, emails, websites, social media posts, etc.)
Nimble is a relationship management tool that combines all your contacts, email, social signals, activities and follow-ups from everywhere you work so that you can maximize relationships to grow your business.
- Manage 1000s of contacts seamlessly across multiple channels
- Get notified about meaningful events like birthdays and job changes
- See who’s talking about you so that you can reach out and engage at the right time
Pricing: 14-day free trial, then plans starting at $15/month
MixRank helps you find new customers by zeroing in on profitable sales leads and traffic sources with real-time intelligence from its digital advertising database.
- Find thousands of new traf?c sources and zero in on the placements that are most likely to deliver your target audience
- Monitor the competition’s split tests and see which creatives, ad copy, and landing pages are the most effective
- Identify advertisers who are bidding against you and learn from their successful campaigns
Pricing: prices not listed on their site
Twighlighter grown your traffic by making sharing easy. With Twilighter, visitors to your website or blog can easily highlight any part of your content and share it immediately on Twitter.
- Twilighter highlights the most-shared content on your site/blog so that new visitors see it immediately
- Easy, 47-second setup
Lead & Customer Acquisition
7. Hello Bar
Hello Bar is a delightfully simple tool that allows you to insert a call-to-action button within a horizontal bar at the top of your site. You create your bar and CTA around one of three goals: drive traffic, collect emails or point visitors to your social media channels.
- Track the number of clicks each header bar receives
- Specify which pages your Hello Bar should/should not be shown on and program the bar to display only during certain dates
- Customize the color of the header bar and button so that they fit with your site design
8. Bounce Exchange
Bounce Exchange helps you turn abandoning site visitors into customers by inviting them to convert right before they leave your site.
- Exit Intent technology lets you capture information from visitors who are about to abandon your site (and possibly never return)
- A/B test your CTAs
- 10 second installation
Pricing: lowest plan offers customized pricing based on visitor volume, then plans start at $3.9K/month
SessionCam allows you to watch recordings of your website visitors (including mobile) so that you can identify problem areas and increase conversion.
- In addition to session recordings, get access to heatmaps to get more information about user behavior on your site
- Build conversion funnels to assess drop-off between form pages
- Easily integrate SessionCam with other third party solutions like Google Analytics, Campaign Monitor, CheetahMail and Olark
Pricing: basic free plan, then pricing for paid plans upon request
KISSmetrics gives you deep customer knowledge by connecting all of your data to real people.
- Identify exactly who’s in each step of your funnel so that you can reach out to them in a more meaningful way
- Understand how customer behavior changes over time with cohorts
- Super easy setup process
Pricing: 14-day free trial, then plans starting at $150/month
CrazyEgg shows you how visitors are behaving on your website: where they’re clicking, where they stop reading or watching, how specific segments of traffic behave differently and more.
- Answer your major questions about how users behave on your site without running dozens of a/b tests
- Know which messages to make prominent (and which to tweak or get rid of altogether)
- Super easy to install
Pricing: 30-day free trial, then plans starting at $9/month
Totango empowers you to drive website visitors and users to experience your product in ways that influence conversion.
- Identify hot prospects by separating the “true evaluators” from the average free user
- Get the information you need to make smart follow-up calls or emails
- Send the sales team daily emails with the status of ongoing trials
Pricing: Free trial, then pricing plans available on request
Unbounce is the landing page builder for marketers that lets then build, publish and A/B test landing pages without I.T. Unbounce empowers marketers to act independently from technical teams, improving their efficiency and their ability to generate sales.
- Produce high-converting landing pages without dealing with I.T. bottlenecks
- Drag and drop interface makes it super-easy to customize landing pages
- Create a form with no technical knowledge or HTML
Pricing: 30-day free trial, then plans starting at $49/month
Optimizely helps you increase engagement, interactions and conversions on your website by making a/b testing super easy.
- Conduct a/b and multivariate tests on your website without changing the code yourself
- Be able to execute all of your website optimization ideas in a matter of minutes
- Track key metrics that tell you how these changes are performing
Pricing: 30-day free trial, then plans starting at $17/month
15. Visual Website Optimizer
Like Optimizely, Visual Website Optimizer simplifies a/b testing and makes it possible for non-coders to run tests on their site.
- Set up conversion goals for each a/b test so that you know exactly which version gets you the results you want
- Supports a/b and multivariate testing
- Use split URL testing to test different versions of your landing pages
Pricing: 30-day free trial, then plans starting at $49/month
Clicktale is a customer experience analytics tool focused on website optimization, conversion analysis and usability research. People use ClickTale to analyze the performance of their online forms, keep visitors engaged with page content and lead visitors through the conversion process.
Their tagline reads: “Created by marketers for marketers”.
- Watch session playbacks for individual users on any device, use heatmapping technology to improve customer experience and increase conversion rate with form analytics
- Aggregate hundreds of thousands of visitors browsing sessions or zoom in on individual visitor
Pricing: Basic plan is free, then premium plans tailored to each company’s needs
Get the most relevant, actionable data from your Google Analytics accounts sent to your inbox daily (no more logging in required!).
- Reports are automatically generated and emailed to as many inboxes as you want
- Works on all devices
Pricing: join the beta for $29/month
Zapier is a great example of a tool that makes it possible for nearly anyone to do a job that traditionally requires developers. It lets you connect the web apps you use, making it easy to automate tedious tasks.
For example, you can use Zapier to create a new Salesforce lead every time someone fills out a form on your website, or you can use it to automatically add Eventbrite attendees to MailChimp.
- Do work typically relegated to developers in a matter of minutes
- Ability to connect 300+ apps
Pricing: free plan, and then paid plans starting at $15/month (depending on how many “zaps” you want to create and how often you want them to run)
Gumroad helps small businesses and creators––including independent writers, designers, game developers, musicians, artists and anyone in between––sell their products online without having to set up a full-blown online store.
- Easily sell products in the form of a wide range of file types, like: HTML, iBook, PDF and MP4.
- Create covers for your products in order to elevate their look
- Connect Gumroad to social accounts, including SoundCloud
Pricing: No hosting or setup fees, but they do take a 5% fee plus 25 cents per transaction
One thought on “Awesome Tools for Marketing Growth Hackers: Part 1”
Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.
Comments are closed.